Posts for category: ENAMEL EROSION
Acidic foods abound in the American Diet and most patients are completely unaware of their hidden dangers that they present to your teeth! Nine out of ten adults are at risk of enamel loss due to the acid found in many commonly consumed foods and beverages. Even patients that are considered to have a healthy mouth can be at risk of enamel erosion due to these dietary acids. Early warning signs include surface changes (smoothing), thinning and translucency, which can be very difficult to identify.
Take a look at a few everyday things that can eat away at your enamel, some of which can be considered to be a part of a healthy diet.
- FRUIT JUICES & SMOOTHIES
- SPORTS DRINKS
- ALCOHOLIC DRINKS
Now let's take a look at ways to help minimize the effects of an acidic diet on your enamel.
- Aim to consume acidic foods or beverages alongside less acidic foods with your meal.
- Drink acidic beverages through a straw.
- Avoid swishing or holding acidic drinks in your mouth.
- Wait a minimum of 20 minutes after a meal or beverage before brushing your teeth.
- Use a special toothpaste that helps repair acid-weakened enamel.